Friday, July 19, 2013

Cream Cheese Danish

Happy Friday!  Since we are smackdab in the middle of next to no decent TV programming (not to discount Real Housewives and Keeping Up with the Kardashians, of which I watch semi-religiously) and Chris has had a busy couple work weeks before we go on vacation I tend to throw myself into projects so I stay out of his hair.  Give me a fresh Tom Collins, some tunes and we are off to the races!

This past week's project involved baking breakfast for his co-workers.  Every Thursday his team typically gets bagels or pastries and Chris usually offers to pick them up on his way to work, meaning he has to get up extra early.  With the late evenings he's been working from home I thought he could use a couple extra z's while I took on the breakfast goodies for the week.  On the menu were Maple Pecan Twists, Cream Cheese Danish and Puffins.  

In this post I'll share the Cream Cheese Danish recipe, then coming up I'll share the others.  I was told this was a definite favorite among Chris' co-workers.  I've made this for company before as well and it was well received! 

**I realize with this recent heat wave (of which I refuse to complain about because I'd rather have heat than cold) the desire to turn on the oven is low on peoples priorities but the end result is worth it!

Cream Cheese Danish
(Makes about 12 servings, about an inch a piece)
 Ingredients:
- 1 can Pilsbury seamless sheet crescent rolls (you can you the ones with seams, just make sure to patch them up before starting)
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened to room temp.
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. flour

For glaze:
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream (milk will suffice as well)
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla.  (I used a small hand mixer.)

- Unroll the crescent roll dough on to an ungreased baking sheet. Seal up any holes and even out the edges.
- With a small pairing knife, cut 1/2 inch diagonal strips up and down each side of the dough.
- Spread the cream cheese filling down the center of the dough.

- Optional: top with fresh berries or some jam.  This time around I did strawberry jam on half of it.  Be careful not to put too much on top as it cooks out and gets messy!

- Fold the 1/2 inch strips over the filling in a criss cross pattern.

- Bake for 15 − 20 minutes or until dough is golden brown.
- Let the danish cool before starting with the glaze.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powedered sugar, vanilla and cream for the glaze.  You may need to add more cream or milk to get the right drizzling consistency.

- Once danish is cool, drizzle icing over it.

- Slice into inch wide pieces and serve.


This is a super easy breakfast treat that can easily be made the night before.  Just make sure you let the danish cool before putting on the glaze.  If its still warm it will run all over the place and be a mess (which I have learned from experience)!

This weekend we are headed to two different events, first to visit with college friends at Roaming Shores and then seeing my cousins from Cali!  I'm so excited to see everyone!  Then we'll have a super short work week (one day) and then we are off to Smith Mountain Lake for vacation!  So I will do my best to keep the posts coming!  

Cheers!
Steph 

No comments:

Post a Comment