Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Local Foodie Moment!

So I've had a rather lazy cooking week this week, Monday I tried happy hour at J. Gilbert's (yum!  Didn't take pictures for the blog though, sorry!  Maybe I'll feature it another time).  Tonight I had dinner with the top three guys in my life: my daddy, my brother, and Chris, lucky me!  Daddy was in town for work.  We decided to give Greek Street Tavern a try.  I had heard and read many good things so I was intrigued to see if it was the real deal or not.

Mitch and I got there first and decided to try an appetizer, the Combination Platter which was samplers of tzatziki sauce, spinach feta and their twisted feta (a combination of roasted red peppers and feta to make a dip) with delicious grilled pita for dipping.  Mitch and I thought this would be a good way to see if they have good tzatziki sauce since we wanted to order gyros.  This was really tasty, I preferred the tzatziki and twisted feta over the spinach feta.  The guys seemed to like all of them but they preferred the spinach feta.

I gave the Traditional Gyro a try.  Additionally, they offer tater tots as a side in place of fresh cut or sweet potato fries.  This was very well received by my dinnermates and I, who doesn't love tots?!  (Thanks Napoleon Dynamite for launching this simple food into the pop culture stratosphere)  The portions are more than substantial and the prices are very reasonable. 
My Traditional Gyro with a side of tots

Their menu consists of mostly Greek with a couple Italian entrees and desserts.  I had heard previously that the original concept was to provide the best of both cuisines but seems the Greek side has won out.  I'll have to give the Italian dishes a try although it might be hard to pass up all the yummy Greek goodies they have!  The service was good, the food came out in a very timely fashion and I particularly liked some of the "house tunes" they had going.  It was probably just an XM radio or something but they were playing some good 80's hits!  If you like Greek or Italian cuisine then you should definitely check it out on your next night off of cooking, I'm certainly glad we did!

Tomorrow I'll be featuring some cold weather comfort food, (yes I'm actually cooking this week!) so make sure to click back!

Cheers!
Steph 

No comments:

Post a Comment