Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Brussel Sprouts Experiment: Part 1

Well here we are, I haven't posted all week!  Last weekend Chris and I rounded out graduation season with the last of our eight graduation celebrations (yes eight, we really should stop hanging around such high achievers).  Then this week was busy, busy and the weekend was no exception!  This weekend my mom and I went wedding dress shopping (ekkkk!) and celebrated Father's Day with my awesome Daddy!
A little throwback pic of Daddy and me!

Anyways, enough of the excuses, lets get to the food!  So I willingly made a food that has a terrible reputation, yep that's right, brussel sprouts.  Spare me the "ick face" I went out on a limb here!  In trying to eat healthier I saw this recipe on Pinterest (I tweaked it a little to our tastes) and decided it was worth a shot as I was getting tired of our typical side salad with dinner.  I will happily share that both Chris and I did not choke from these widely refuted little veggies.  They were actually quite delicious!  It also goes to show that dousing just about anything with garlic, honey and wine can make it rather delish.

Sweet & Spicy Brussel Sprouts
(this makes two side portions)
 Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb. Brussel sprouts, sliced in half with ends trimmed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- splash (a couple Tbsp.) white wine
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- sprinkle of sesame seeds

 
Instructions:
- Heat a pan over medium high heat with oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.

- When the garlic starts to sizzle and bubble around the edges add brussel sprouts.

- Make sure the sprouts have some room to cook, spread them out with a little shake of the pan. Keep in mind the moisture from the sprouts reacts to the heat so you'll hear a few pops and cracks, a little sprout dancing if you will.  (They are just so excited to shed their bad rap they are dancing in the pan!)
- Add soy sauce and lightly stir.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until sprouts have caramelized around the edges.
- Deglaze the pan with wine.
- Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, lightly stirring or tossing in the pan.
- Add honey and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until sprouts are tender. Add any additional soy sauce or pepper flakes if necessary.

- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

Chris really liked the sauce to this, he wants to try it on something else in the future.  He gave the sprouts a surprisingly good, make again but not all the time rating.  These were pretty easy and the sauce is delicious, sweet with a little spicy to it.  Next time I'll have to not cut the ends so high because I had troubles with my sprouts falling apart.

All in all our first brussel sprouts experience was a good one, I don't know what all the fuss is about!  Since I bought a whole pound of sprouts but only used half for this recipe rest assured there's another B-sprouts recipe to come!

So I hope to be better this week about getting some posts up!  With the excitement of dress shopping I guess I just lost track of blog time!  For dress shopping advice hop over to The Bear Necessities for my friend Danielle's wedding dress tips, they were very helpful in our recent excursion!

Cheers!
Steph

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out!
    I'll have to try the Brussel Sprouts recipe! I love me some sprouts!

    ReplyDelete