Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Brunch Chilaquiles

Happy April everyone!  Hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend!  Saturday morning we had some time on our hands so I got a head start on spring cleaning.  But before I kicked off my cleaning spree I wanted to try a new brunch recipe!  It is called Brunch Chilaquiles, I found it on Kraft.com, I made some modifications to it based on our tastes and what I had on hand.  I also made some yummy brunch cocktails for us to have.  I had an abundance of juices so we thought "hey it's Saturday, why not?!"

Brunch Chilaquiles
(This makes 3 to 4 servings)
 Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 c. tortilla chips
- 1/4 c. yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can (10 oz.) red enchilada sauce of your preferred heat, I used mild
- 1 c. mexican style shredded cheese, divided in half
- 1 jalepeno, thinly sliced, seeds and inner membrane removed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
- Melt butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, season with s&p.  Either keep the eggs separated or separate them after they start cooking. (Mine all ran together so I just divided them up once the white was more cooked.)

- Cook until whites and yolks are set (4 to 5 minutes), remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet, add tortilla chips and cook until golden brown (5 to 8 minutes).  Be sure to stir frequently so as not to burn any chips.

- Add onions and cook a few minutes, continue to stir.
- Add enchilada sauce and 1/2 c. cheese, mix lightly until chips are covered with sauce.

- Top with eggs and remaining cheese.
- Turn on broiler and place skillet under it for 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is melted (if your skillet has a rubber handle or anything just cover it in aluminum foil before sticking it in the oven).

- Top with jalepeno and cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!

This was a very tasty dish!  Chris and I both liked it and Chris voted to make it again.  We ended up eating all the eggs and leaving some of the cooked chips but the flavors were great and it was a good way to switch things up for brunch.  This is a good recipe if you have an already opened bag of tortilla chips lying around.  The chips don't necessarily have to be fresh since you end up cooking them down till they are soft anyways.  You could easily make smaller batches of this for a smaller crowd.  We paired it with a Screwdriver for Chris and a Sparkling Grapefruit Cocktail for me.  Here is the recipe for the Sparkling Grapefruit Cocktail.

Sparkling Grapefruit Cocktail
 Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. grapefruit juice
- splash soda water

Instructions:
- Mix vodka and juice over ice in a shaker, strain over ice in a rocks glass.
- Fill the rest of the glass with soda water.
- Enjoy!

This was nice and light, I may have a new brunch favorite!  I suppose with the Chilaquiles making it with tequila would be better but I'm not the biggest tequila fan.


This week we've got a busy week then its off to Winston-Salem, NC to visit Chris' sister and one of my best friends, Coco!

Cheers!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment