Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Soup's On: Kale, White Beans and Tomato Soup

It's that time of year friends, time for Sunday Soup on WWSV!  This week I'm a little behind so it's not titled Sunday Soup but it was a hectic weekend!  During the fall and winter months Chris and I are big fans of soup for lunches so I typically prepare a big batch on Sundays.  Then I share my recipes with you!

This weekend we went to Miami, I had a meeting as well as our first annual 18 of the last 9 awards reception!
The inaugural class of 18 of the last 9!  Very inspirational and successful Miamians!

This event is something the Young Alumni Council has been working to get off the ground for a year.  Ok, sorry back to the soup, I just can't help but brag about my awesome council members, they seriously rock!

Sights from campus and our YAC meeting!

After my cleanse I had some ingredients leftover and one that I had in abundance was kale.  With my new MAJOR fruit and veggie cravings I figured lets put this stuff to use!  I feel like kale is under represented, it gets such a bad rap!  I can see why some aren't big fans because it is a little tough and its raw texture is a little strange BUT once you get comfortable with it it can be downright delicious.  I found this recipe as a side on Pinterest but I decided to add broth and make it a soup.  It's very yummy and fills you right up!

Kale, White Beans and Tomato Soup 
(this makes about three to four servings)

Ingredients:
- About a cup or so of kale, leaves removed from the stems and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz) white beans, drained and rinsed (I used cannelli beans)
- 1 c. chicken broth (for vegetarians you can use vegetable broth)
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkles of parmesan cheese (for serving)

Instructions:
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.  Add garlic and let cook until just barely golden around the edges.

- Add kale (be careful, if it is still wet it will spit a little when it hits the oil) saute and occasionally cover to steam until kale is wilted.

- Add tomatoes, beans and broth then simmer a few minutes.  The amount of broth you add is up to you, I like lots of broth to my soups so I tend for a heavier hand with it.  
- Add red pepper flakes (a lot if you like it spicy or only a little pinch if you don't).  Season with salt and pepper.

- Serve and sprinkle with parmesan.  If you are making ahead (like I do for lunches) leave parmesan off until time to serve.  (If you have a dairy allergy you can leave the cheese off altogether, it still tastes good.)

So there we have our first soup recipe of the season, hope you enjoy!

Cheers!
Steph 

No comments:

Post a Comment