Saturday, February 9, 2013

Superbowl Sunday!

Well friends what did you think of the big game?!  Chris and I had a few friends over to watch and of course to eat!  Unfortunately this post is a little delayed, I ended up with the flu the first part of the week and have been catching up since, yuck!

For this get together I decided to do a chili bar!  It featured my Momma's homemade chili and Coney Sauce (my grandpa's recipe).  Thankfully my Momma is pretty much the most awesome mom a girl could have and she made a batch of her chili for the party so I wouldn't have to do it.  I did make the Coney though.  This was always one of my favorite recipes of my Grandpa's, now that he is no longer with us every time I make it I feel his spirit watching over me, "Be careful with that knife!  Now don't put the salt in yet, you don't want it to end up briney. " Insert the sounds of him jingling his change in his pocket as he oversaw the kitchen happenings.  I made this a couple nights ahead because the flavors get better after its in the fridge for a bit (Grandpa's cooking rules!).

The great thing about food bars is you can really go any way you want with it!  My chili bar included:
- hot dogs (chili or coney dogs)
- oyster crackers
- cheese
- sour cream
- pasta (for Skyline style)
- tortilla chips (for build your own nachos)
Chili bar, not the fanciest layout but it worked!

I always like to have some tags (themed, of course) telling people what's what, it makes it easier than explaining it a bunch of times.  I made a couple extra blank ones for people who brought dishes to fill theirs out too.

In addition to the chili and coney we had some yummy appetizers and for a sweet treat I made Nutella Rice Krispie Treats!  To go with the football theme I used a cookie cutter to shape them into footballs then used melted white chocolate for the laces.
Our yummy spread!  Threw in some football napkins, plates and  a Superbowl tablecloth

Nutella Rice Krispie Treats
Ingredients:
- 6 c. Rice Krispie cereal
- 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 5 1/2 c. mini marshmallows
- 1 c. Nutella

Instructions:
-Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
-Add marshmallows and melt down.
-Add Nutella and stir until well combined, turn off heat.
-Add Rice Krispies (if your pot is large enough add them into the heated mixture, if not use a separate mixing bowl).
- Stir until cereal is well coated, spread out evenly on a greased sheet of wax paper or foil.
- Use a greased cookie cutter to cut into shapes if you'd like, or wait until cool and cut with a large knife.  With the scraps I just formed them into small balls and drizzled some of the white chocolate on them to make them look like truffles.

Hope you had a great Superbowl experience!  Up next, a Sunday soup and Mardi Gras!!

Cheers!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment