Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Oscar Night!

How was everyone's weekend?!  Chris and I had a blast back on campus at Miami!  We definitely had a busy weekend filled with wedding venue meetings, alumni meetings, campus/uptown eats and even an alumni awards dinner.  When we got home we decided to have a little fun with Oscar Sunday and make some flavored popcorns and cocktails, turn on the fireplace and relax before a busy week!

For the popcorns I had seen an article on BuzzFeed with recipes for unique flavors.  I picked Parmesan & Garlic and S'mores, when making the S'mores I ran into an ingredient snafu so I switched it up and made peanut butter s'mores popcorn instead.

Parmesan & Garlic Popcorn
(I made a half batch of this by splitting a microwave bag of popcorn in half)
Ingredients:
- 1/2 bag of plain microwave popcorn (you could also air pop it if you have a popper)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste


 

Instructions:
- Pop popcorn in microwave or using an air popper or over the stove.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and olive oil together.

- Pour butter and oil mixture over popcorn and slightly toss to coat.
- Sprinkle Parmesan, garlic powder and salt and pepper and mix.

- Enjoy!

Peanut Butter S'mores Popcorn
 Ingredients:
 - 1/2 bag of plain microwave popcorn
- 1/2 c. light corn syrup
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. peanut butter
- 1/2 sleeve of graham crackers, about 4 crackers
- 1/2 bag mini marshmallows (I didn't have that many but I just used the rest of my bag)
- 1/4 c. chocolate chips

Instructions:
- Pop popcorn in microwave or using an air popper or over the stove.
- Break up graham crackers and toss with popcorn to combine.

- In a saucepan combine sugars and corn syrup until combined and boiling, stirring so it won't burn.
- Stir in peanut butter until all of it is incorporated.

- Pour mixture over popcorn (I did this a little at a time so I could mix it well) lightly mix with a greased mixing spoon until well coated.

- Add in marshmallows and chocolate chips and lightly mix till all is incorporated.

- Serve and enjoy!

Both were delicious!  Chris preferred the Parmesan Garlic, I preferred the PB S'mores.  Now for the cocktail!

Sparkling Cosmo
(This makes two)
Ingredients:
- 4 and 1/2 oz. citrus vodka
- 2 oz. cranberry juice
- squeeze of lime juice
- splash of grenadine
- small bottle of champagne

Instructions:
- In a shaker over ice mix vodka, cranberry juice, lime juice and grenadine.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Float with champagne.
- Enjoy!

These were my glamorous take on a classic which I thought would be fitting for a night like the Oscars.  I was so excited Jennifer Lawrence and Anne Hathaway won in their respective categories!  Anne has always been a favorite of mine but Jennifer is a new addition to the favorites group!  The fashion was fabulous as well as the musical numbers during the show (aka I LOVEDDDDD the Les Mis number).

Next up a Lent friendly dinner and maybe a new Sunday Soup!

Cheers!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment