Monday, February 18, 2013

Sunday Soup! (part 2)...on Monday!

Greetings from the Windy City!  We have had a fabulous weekend here in Chicago!  Unfortunately Miami lost in their outdoor hockey game but thankfully the weather was pretty cooperative.  We packed a lot into a weekend!  In addition to the game we ate at some amazing restaurants and got to catch up with friends and family.  Here are some pictures from the weekend!
We got to have dinner and drinks with one of my best friends from home, Holly!

Solider Field

My college roommate, Nikoo, and I were able to meet up at the game!  Her and her fiance drove in from Indiana for the game, they are getting married this summer!
I was digging through my Pinterest boards for some soup recipes for my Sunday Soup and came across this Mexican Chicken Soup.  I knew Chris might not be a huge fan because of the black beans in it but I figured it was worth a shot.  It was so easy!  Instead of simmering on the stove all you do is put it in the crockpot for a few hours.

Mexican Chicken Soup
(This made four lunch portions and one dinner for two portion)
 Ingredients:
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 envelope taco seasoniong
- 32 oz. tomato juice
- 1 jar of salsa (I used my Gran's homemade)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package frozen corn, thawed
- olive oil
- cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips or fresh cilantro for garnish

Instructions:
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat, saute chicken until no longer pink.

- Add water and taco seasoning, simmer until chicken is well coated.

- Put chicken in slow cooker.
- Add in tomato juice, salsa, beans and corn.






- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking I stirred in a handful of chopped fresh cilantro just because we like it but its not required.

- Serve with cheese, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips or fresh cilantro for garnish.
- Enjoy!

This was so easy, the pictures of the steps almost seem silly!  It's a delicious soup, the chicken and black beans definitely give it more substance and the thickness is just right.  It's not too spicy either, I suppose if you wanted to add some kick you could add in red pepper flakes when cooking the chicken.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Cheers!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment