Monday, January 14, 2013

Winter Warm Up!

Happy Monday everyone!  Did last week drag for everyone or was it just me?  Somehow I didn't even get around to blogging!  Seems like things moved at a rather glacial pace.  Speaking of glaciers, how about a themed cocktail to spice things up?!  Today I'll be sharing one of my favorite winter cocktails, the Glacier Martini!  Plus I tried a new dip recipe that is sure to please your next party crowd!

I started making this Glacier Martini a couple years ago when I saw it on Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee.  Who doesn't want to be like that woman?!  Themed tablescapes, easy dishes and entertaining and of course the matching themed cocktails, talk about my kind of cooking show host!  Anyways, I saw this recipe and gave it a try that following New Years Eve, it was a hit!  Over the years as my tastes have changed I've done some tweaking to it but over all its still a hit each New Years.  This year we didn't have any hosting plans for New Years so this fun drink was never made.  Well I decided I couldn't let too much time pass or else it wouldn't be nearly as festive!  With Superbowl and Valentine's Day then St. Patty's right around the corner the Glacier Martini is almost a must for January!  Plus it matches my winter decor after all the Christmas stuff is put away!

Glacier Martini
Ingredients:
- 1.5 parts Citrus or Vanilla vodka
- 1 part Hpnotiq liqueur (This is a light blue fruity liquor that really makes the drink festive!  If you prefer your drink sweeter add more of this.)
- splash 7up or Sprite

Instructions:
- In a shaker or pitcher over ice, mix all ingredients (careful when shaking with 7up, it's carbonated!)
- Strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Enjoy!

Now for the Jalapeno Popper Dip!  I've actually had this a couple times before courtesy of my great friend Emily (see blog post about her here) but I had never made it myself till now.  This is usually quite the crowd pleaser, I split it to take to two things this week: Friday happy hour and Girls night.  It's pretty easy once you locate all the ingredients at your local store (am I the only one that still wonders around Meijer like I have no clue where things are?).

Jalapeno Popper Dip
Ingredients:
- 2 pkgs. cream cheese (softened)
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 1/2 c. shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded Mozzarella
- 4 oz. can of chopped green chiles (drained)
- 4 oz. can of chopped jalapenos (drained)
- 1 c. Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- cooking spray

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, cheeses, chiles and jalapenos together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix Panko and Parmesan together with a fork.
- Spread dip mixture into the bottom of a baking pan (preferably 9x9 but I used two smaller ones as I was taking it two places).
- Sprinkle breadcrumb and cheese mixture on top, spray with cooking spray.
- Place in oven until bubbling and breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Serve with tortilla chips, veggies or crusty bread slices.

Well I hope these goodies spice up any winter doldrums you may have!  This weekend Chris and I took the weekend to relax (so relaxed that I had zero time to catch up on blogging!).  I worked on some crafts and he had some work things to take care of.  PLUS Showtime was offering a free preview weekend so I took full advantage and caught up on episodes of one of my favorite shows, Weeds.  This week I'll show you my finished crafts and some new recipes I made on Sunday.

Cheers!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment