Monday, December 17, 2012

Surprise! We're engaged!

Hi friends!  Well I know I promised a post about our Christmas trees but....Chris surprised me this weekend with a topic that surpasses our trees.  He proposed! We are so excited to take this next step in our relationship and would like to thank our families and friends for the incredible amount of support and love!

So now for "the story" the part all the girls ask about and all the guys tolerate while they wait for a beer.  After a rough day at work on Friday I was ready for a cocktail and some catching up with Chris' siblings who arrived home from college.  We went over to his parents for happy hour like we do every Friday then had some dinner with his family.  Afterwards, Chris suggested we go look at Christmas lights, which he takes me to do each year and is one of my favorite things to do so I happily agreed!  We decided to go to a lights display at a nearby state park.  It was AWESOME!  We were so impressed at the different themes and set ups they had.
Brutus!  Go Bucks!


Santa riding a pontoon!
Santa in a lawn chair soaking up some rays!

The SS Santa, this was one of Chris' favorites!
After that we went to a few more neighborhoods around town then headed back home.  When we got home Chris turned on the Christmas tree and said "Did you know today is the 14th?" I replied "yes, its been all over the news, its so sad" referring to the unthinkable tragedy in Connecticut (what a terrible shame, our deepest thoughts and condolences go out to the victims and their loved ones at this tremendously hard time).  The 14th (of October) is also when we started dating many moons ago.  So we have a tradition of when we remember its the 14th we count how many months we've been dating.  This time it had been 62 months!

Chris asked me "Did you know it's been 62 months?" I said "No, but that's a really long time!".  He said, "Is it long enough to get engaged?" I replied, "Well eventually".  He said, "How about right now?" to which my eyes probably almost popped out of my head as he got down on one knee and pulled out a beautiful ring!  Then he asked, "Will you marry me?" to which I replied, "For real?" (What a dink!  One of the greatest moments of our lives and I ask if he's kidding?!  Smooth Steph, real smooth).  After realizing that he was in fact, NOT kidding I immediately said yes and starting flapping around like a ridiculous human bird.  I stopped jumping around long enough for him to place the ring on my finger (fit just right!) and we hugged and kissed and were so elated then I stop dead in my tracks and say "Wait a minute, did you ask my Daddy?", I'm pretty traditional so it was very important to me that he ask.  He chuckled and said, "Steph, you're pretty much the last to know in your family."  He had asked my Daddy, my brother and my Momma, talk about going above and beyond!    
Ta, da!  It's official!
Afterwards, we started making some calls but it was later in the evening so we saved all of our extended family till the following day.  We went back to his parents for champagne and chocolates.  Man did he surprise me!  I had NO idea it was coming!  I thought it was going to be around New Years Eve but he got me!  The days following have been a flurry of phone calls and texts and Facebook this and that but it has been a hurricane of excitement!  Now begins the wedding planning, thankfully we had previously talked about a timeline and we aren't getting married till 2014 so we have ample time!

Luckily for us, my Gran and aunt were in town for my cousin's swim meet and we had plans with Miami friends Saturday night so we got to tell them the good news in person.  Plus with Christmas coming up we have all kinds of family gatherings planned where we can celebrate with them!  

So as previously promised up next are trees and Christmas cocktails and Mudslide Pudding Shots! 

Cheers!
Steph  

No comments:

Post a Comment