Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Mardi Gras King Cake

Happy Fat Tuesday everyone!  Although I've never been to Mardi Gras (on the bucket list!) I like to join in the fun before Lent begins.  I have been to New Orleans and I really loved the culture of the city: vibrant, rich in history and resilient, and let's not forget the FOOD and DRINKS!  Any place that let's you legally take "to go cups" is just fineeee by me!

My new Mardi Gras wreath!

With wedding preparations (aka dieting) and an after work commitment (I simply CANNOT go without my Tuesday Yogalates class, no matter the holiday!) we decided to cut back a little bit on the themed dinner in comparison to last year.  I still made King Cake and Cajun Chicken Pasta but held off on the Bananas Foster and Hurricanes.  

The past couple years I've made Mini King Cakes for mine and Chris' co-workers.  This year I decided to switch it up and make a King Cake with Praline Filling.  As much as I wanted to make a king cake from scratch I just didn't have that kind of time or energy so I did an easier version that was just as yummy!

King Cake with Praline Filling
(Makes about 10ish servings)
 Ingredients:
- 1 tube refrigerated crescent roll dough (I use the seamless sheet)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- powdered sugar
- splash of milk
- colored sugar (green, yellow and purple)

Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Unroll the crescent roll dough onto a baking sheet, if you get the kind with seams patch them up with your fingers.

- Melt butter in the microwave then add vanilla and stir.
- In a separate bowl mix together brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon.
- Spread butter mixture over unrolled dough then sprinkle sugar and pecan mixture over top.

- Start at long side of the dough and roll then form into a circle.

- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown then let cool on a wire rack.

- Mix together powdered sugar and milk until it's a little runny, then drizzle over top the cake.
- Sprinkle on the colored sugar and let dry.

- Once the frosting is set up cut into servings.

- Put on your Mardi Gras beads and enjoy!

This was easy peasy and turned out very yummy!  It comes out a little small so like I said above in order to make enough for Chris' team I had to make two.

Hope you all had a great Fat Tuesday, next up is a Lightened Orange Chicken recipe!

Cheers!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment